By accepting you will be accessing a service provided by a third-party external to https://ww2.wildland.com/
My Dad and I are traveling to Costa Rica next week for a much needed vacation. I thought it would be a neat idea for each of us to write down the top 5 reasons we want to visit Costa Rica and compare them. A little about us first: for starters, I'm in my 20's and my Dad is in his 60's. We've both been very fortunate to travel extensively, but his list is much more extensive than mine. Needless to say, finding a destination neither of us has been to was a challenge in itself. Luckily we have similar interests and both enjoy outdoor activities like hiking, rafting, snorkeling, etc... We decided on Costa Rica in a very technical fashion... we both wrote down a list of our top 5 places we wanted to visit next and Costa Rica was the match! Now for the reasons we want to go to Costa Rica; I'll start with my Dad's list:
1. DESIRE TO TRAVEL TO A COUNTRY I HAVE NEVER VISITED. Costa Rica is on the top of my list for a Central American country to which I would like to go. My next-door neighbor, a Costa Rican, has been suggesting I go there for years.
2. COSTA RICA IS REASONABLY CLOSE: Costa Rica is closer to California than the majority of other foreign countries. Not having to fly all day and make several transfers gives us a lot more time to enjoy all the activities Costa Rica has to offer. Activities in which I would like to participate include: hiking, boating, sightseeing, photography and horseback riding.
3. GEOGRAPHY: I look forward to seeing a relatively narrow region in the world where the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans are close together. I want to experience the ways this feature created differences and similarities between the eastern and western sides of the country. I also want to see Volcan Arenal, one of the most active volcanoes in the world.
4. FLORA AND FAUNA: I want to see the wide variety of birds, butterflies, plants and animals that live in Costa Rica. Hiking through national parks and nature preserves should be a very delightful experience.
5. WEATHER PATTERNS: Weather to me is always fascinating. It should be interesting to experience the wind, temperature, humidity and rainfall differences between the eastern lowlands, the western lowlands and the high mountains in between. A lake on the continental divide gets a substantially different rainfall on its east and west sides.
1. ADVENTURE: Costa Rica is an absolute adventurer's paradise jam-packed with things to do. Everything from rappelling off waterfalls to ziplining through the rainforest canopy. On every trip with my Dad I try to push him to try a new activity. For this trip I chose surfing. Growing up in Southern California I surfed a good amount, but never got the Dad out in the waves with me. He doesn't know my plan, but I'm going to get him on a board!
2. WILDLIFE: Who doesn't want to see all the incredible creatures that call Costa Rica home? I'm most looking forward to seeing the different types of monkeys, especially the howlers.
3. RAINFOREST: From the forest floor to the canopy, the rainforest in Costa Rica is packed with amazing things to see. The flora and fauna are some of the richest in the world. Even though the country consists of only about 0.1% of the world's landmass, it contains 5% of the world's biodiversity. I'm really looking forward to the hanging bridges tour, offering a bird's-eye view of everything from the top of the canopy.
4. SUN: I've spent all winter in Seattle, so it's time I got some vitamin d!
5. QUALITY TIME WITH THE PADRE: I don't get to spend much time with my Dad these days, so it's always nice to be able to hang out beyond the couple of days we get during the holidays. Not to mention it is always fun to push each other to try new things. I'm sure he'll make me eat something new and I can't wait to get him on that surfboard!
If you want to see photos from my trip keep an eye out on Wildland's Facebook or just check back on our blog.
Your friendly adventurer,